Wednesday 27 March 2013

The Tao of Tracking

If you are like me, hopefully you are not, or if you are, we are only a minority, you have read a lot of very good guides, seen flash animations, had it tirelessly explained to you in crayon, or just flat out beaten into you buy your brother and sister pilots the in this great big sand box we call New Eden. If you could not guess by the titles of this entry, I am talking about tracking.

But in my case, it never really sunk all the way in. The universe has a funny way of showing you how things work. 

Tonight the mighty Hayabusa blessed me with victories and defeats. Hayabusa had cleverly placed lessons in each of them for me to unravel. The lessons are never in plain sight, they wait there for you to show your new level of understanding. Or they simply slip away without the dim light of reasoning, and crawl into dark places waiting to be discovered again. Now as I have said before, I am a poor student, but I do try. Tonight I have unearthed some truths about this science or art called tracking. I will share with you how my mind has come to grips with these new truths.

In these two fights I learned how your ships flight path can affect the accuracy of your guns. The first fight I found that my damage was quite poor overall, no doubt due to the tracking disruptor, but as my brother pilot achieved an orbit at his desired range, buy which time he was in structure! my damage was reduced to almost nothing. With his auto cannons slowly eating through my shield buffer I became more and more desperate to apply the great damage of my blasters to his crumbling structure. I tried changing my orbit, with my web allowing me to somewhat dictate range. No luck there. A little more shield gone, and him still slowly bleeding structure, but the damage race was evening out. Why could I not finish him off!

Finally with victory falling slowly into the rifter pilots grasp I decided to align out for a quick pod get away. It was then some thing amazing happened. I started to once again to damage the rifter. I over heated my afterburner to keep his orbit stunted to a straight line trying to close range on me. Then it clicked.

He had lost his sideways motion and was easier for my disrupted guns to hit! I was also lucky I had null loaded at that moment as I had pulled a fair bit of range on him.

So our frigates tearing into each other until the last pieces of super structure began to buckle and melt. I emerged the victor buy the slimmest or margins.

Thank you my brother pilot for the great fight and the important lesson you taught me.

The next fight, a rifter crossed my path again, I was given another chance to learn, and also to put my new found understanding to the test. I spiraled in again and applied as much damage as I could with a tight orbit. When we became locked in a circle of plasma and shells, again I noticed my damage falling off. So in order to test my new knowledge I aligned to the sun and pulled some range. This time careful to watch my speed so as not to out range my guns. Once again as the rifter began to fly a more straight path to keep range, and my damage increased!

No tracking disruption this time just the speed of my brother pilots ship at certain range making him harder to track. My guns could not follow him fast enough to get a solid hit.


Later I had the chance to fight a brother pilot in a ship I am sure was fit almost identical to my own. He flew away the victor, and I was left to sift through the wreckage of my ship for the lesson from Hayabusa.

I had been chasing a Thrasher. Knowing that it was a larger ship with a bigger signature radius I loaded void  ammunition, hoping to dictate range and take advantage of its higher damage when fighting this fearsome frigate killer.

Instead I found myself in battle with my doppelganger. It was over very fast, I could not get my guns to apply anywhere near the damage I could have if I had regular navy antimatter loaded. His more accurate blaster fire collapsing my shields and sending me off in my pod. I did try to reduce his sideways motion by burning in a straight line again, but the difference was minimal. Another great fight, and important lesson. Thank you for your instruction!

This will certainly not be new to most people who read this. It's just my attempt to put my lessons from this evening about tracking into words, and to ask my brother and sister pilots for clarification if I have erred in my understanding of these few points.

Last of all I will link this great tracking guide. It put me on the path to understanding. I have not walked to the end of the path as yet, but i seem to be moving forward.

Eve Tracking Guide   Big thanks to the guides creator/s.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment